Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Joshua Tree National Park, Twentynine Palms, CA

Joshua Tree National Park is a 2 hour drive East of Los Angeles, depending on traffic. In order for me to miss traffic on a weekday, I need to leave my house at 6am. When I leave later than about 7am, I run into some pretty bad morning rush hour traffic. If you plan on camping overnight, you might want to wait until after 10am, and check the traffic anyway to avoid the residuals from the morning commute. The park is open all year, but I try to avoid being there in the summer unless the weather is mild that day (the average temperature in the summer is 100 degrees Fahrenheit). I have personally visited in the winter and spring. Before you think of visiting, you should review the parks "Things to know before you come."
The Cottonwood Park Entrance
There are three visitor centers, the closest one depends on which direction you are driving from. When driving from LA using Highway 62, the Joshua Tree Visitors Center on Park Boulevard should be your first stop. If you use the 10 Freeway, the Cottonwood Visitor Center is for you. I always take the time to stop at the visitor center so that I can get a chance to use the bathroom, talk to the park ranger and pick up a map. When I visited in winter, there was a light snowstorm the night before, so I wanted to ask if any roads or trails were closed. I also ask their advice on hikes or nature walks I should do that day.
View from Keys Point with snow!
One of my favorite things to do when I visit a National Park is hike. At Joshua Tree, there are many different hikes you can do, all various lengths so you can pick one that's perfect for your ability. I have done the 49 Palms Oasis hike, 3 miles round trip, and the Lost Horse Mine hike, 4 miles round trip. Next time I visit, I plan on trying out the Mastodon Peak hike. :D
If hiking up and down mountains isn't your thing and you'd prefer something a bit shorter, Joshua Tree has a ton of nature trails. I have done the Arch Rock, Hidden Valley, Keys View, and Skull Rock nature walks. The nature walks are generally shorter and very flat.

If neither of those things interests you, there are a TON of other activities you can do (like backpacking, rock climbing, mountain biking, driving on backcountry roads). If driving and looking is your thing, the park is HUGE and there are tons of things along the road for you to stop and enjoy.


Basically, if you live within driving distance of this treasure, you should visit Joshua Tree National Park. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment